#002: How to Create and Market Your Content on a Shoestring Budget [Podcast]

The focus of today’s podcast episode is content marketing, and specifically how to do it on a shoestring budget. Let’s face it; we all need to create content consistently but we all love to save money, right?

Because we’re all so busy, consistently creating content is a challenge and is often an afterthought — something we’ll do when we “have more time.” However, in the same way that paying bills and answering email is a priority in order to keep your business alive, so is content marketing. Few people survive in today’s fierce online world if they don’t continually produce unique content!

In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:

• The answer to the question, “What is content?” I provide a quick list to remind you of how many opportunities you have to create content.
  • The most important question you need to ask yourself regarding your content. The answer to this question will help you create content that engages and interests your audience. I also talk about the importance of solving problems and providing information that will enable your audience to take action and implement what they learn.
  • How to brainstorm ideas for content.  I cover 3 tips for coming up with stellar content ideas that fit your ideal audience.
  • How to repurpose your best content. Brainstorming is important, but you may have already created a lot of content that you can repurpose. In this segment of the podcast I give you ideas for ways you can repurpose your existing content and provide examples of how I use this strategy myself.
  • How to get inspired by mixing things up. I share one of my best sources of inspiration; it drives my husband crazy, but it’s one of my favorite ways to get fresh content ideas!
  • How to become a ninja outsourcer. I cover 3 main roles you need to have in place when it comes to content creation. I provide tips for finding great people who will treat your business as if it’s their own; content marketing is a direct reflection of your brand, so it’s worth investing in the relationships you have with your contractors.  I also talk about the importance of staying involved in the process and how to communicate your needs and expectations  without micromanaging.
  • How to optimize your content calendar. To get the most from your calendar, it needs to be extremely easy to use and easy to access. I explain how and why I use Google calendar for my content calendar.
  • The importance of creating content with the big picture in mind. My tip here is something that most people don’t teach. (Hint: less just might mean more for you!)
  • I share some tactical content creation tips including how to capture and keep track of ideas for future content. I talk about mistakes I made early on and what I did to improve my process for organizing my content creation ideas so that I can find them when I’m ready to use them.
  • The importance of responsive design.
  • I wrap up this episode by sharing my motto, “Give more than you ever expect to receive.” Tony Robbins put it perfectly: “If you can make it your goal to always find a way to add more value to people’s lives than anyone else, then you’ll never have to worry about success.”

Items mentioned in this episode include:

Right click to download the .mp3.

I want to hear from you! Which of these content marketing tips have you tried? Tell me all about it in the comment section below!

Click here to download the transcript.

Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)

Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield

Comments

1. Another great episode Amy!
    I use a few of these strategies – one of my favorites in taking screenshots. Fortunately for me, from the very beginning I set up folders and track things by date. I use a tool called Screencast-o-matic for this and I’m always sure to name the file with a good keyword.

One thing I’ll consider is giving feedback to writers when I edit their work. I’ve done this on occasion but I agree with you that I should do this every time with my regular guest authors. Makes sense.

Thanks for all the advice.

2. Really enjoying your podcasts, Amy. Here’s an idea related to your suggestion for organizing screengrabs to spark creativity… use Private Pinterest boards. You still get the visual reminder of what you’d seen, and you can easily click through to the original content. My public Pinterest page is full of color and texture and music and art… but my private boards are filled with ideas for everything from art to blogging.

3. Is the podcast in iTunes ?

4. Aurelius Tjin says:

Excellent Podcast session, Amy! I like the section where you talked about having systems in place to streamline your content creation. Plus, the little Google Calendar tip was cool too. It’s those little things you add in your podcast that we all appreciate.

Keep ’em coming!

5. Aurelius Tjin says:

Oh, and I can totally relate to your man about The Real Housewives. My fiance is totally hooked on it!

6. So happy to hear you found the session valuable! THANK YOU for letting me know!

7. The tip on using Snagit is a great one and something I do all the time but I use different software.

Check out Skitch. It integrates with Evernote and may solve your issues with trying to organize all of those folders and file names.

I went to this system and it was much easier for me.

Love the podcast. Keep up the great work.

8. I totally agree with the content calendar. My problem is that the calendar was in my head, but I’ll get ideas for podcasts and just do them. I’m going to create a separate Google Calendar and when I have an idea, shift the calendar around instead of going off track

9. Olufunmi Sobodu says:

This is the first time I came acros yourself, really enjoyed the podcast!

10. Another great post Amy. Right not I’m all about focusing on how to have a signature voice come through in content so that marketing is more effective. And I’m all about budget ideas!

11. Hi, Ileane! The feedback part is so important, but it takes a little extra work for sure. So glad you liked the podcast. Coming from another podcaster, that means a lot!

12. That’s a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion – I will try that one out, Bev!

13. Love those budget ideas! :-) Thanks for listening!

14. THANK YOU for listening and reaching out – that means a lot to me!

15. Mine was in my head for a long time too – so much easier when I got it out of there :-) So happy to see your smiling face, Dee!

16. Skitch! That’s the one I could not remember the name for – thanks for the reminder!

17. Hi Amy, recently discovered your amazing work and I have to say…You DELIVER on the free resources within your podcast. I LOVE picmonkey! Thank you for ALL you share. Giving away quality stuff certainly makes me much more interested and eager to buy anything from you.

18. I love your post!! I’m so glad you like picmonkey (I am not obsessed with it!) and I am so happy we connected here. Have a great day, Christine!

19. That is genius Bev! I am with Amy, gonna try that one out. Thanks!!

20. One tidbit to add: I keep my iphone notepad handy on my nightstand at night. Somehow some of my best ideas come to me at 2 am, and if if don’t write them down, I’ll wake up in the morning going, “What was it that I thought of??? It was such a good idea.” Does this happen to you, Amy?

21. mac smith says:

thanks!

22. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabling a vote.

23. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violationtabling a vot

24. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Con tabling a vote.

25. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabling a vote.

26. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Consg a vote.

27. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the tution in tabling a vote.

28. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabling a .

29. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution ia vote.

30. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constia vote.

31. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabl

32. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabling

33. Susanrcrane1 says:

There is no violation of the Constitution in tabling a vote